vendredi 24 juillet 2015

Coding Diabetic Retinopathy in Resolved Diabetes

hello fellow coders. :)

I need some input on coding diabetic retinopathy after the diabetes has resolved.

the patient's current a1c is 5.6 and the provider states that the diabetes was resolved due to weight loss, so he is not "controlled on medication", but the retinopathy still exists and is technically "due to diabetes".

can I code it with impaired fasting glucose (790.21), which is what the provider is assessing?
that just doesn't seem correct.

how about coding the retinopathy as background retinopathy, unspecified (362.10)?
I'm not sure that sounds right either, because (as I said above) the retinopathy was really "due to diabetes", but this is where I'm leaning.

I guess the same question goes for other diabetic manifestations, too (diabetic neuropathy, or angiopathy).

any input is greatly appreciated.

thanks.


Coding Diabetic Retinopathy in Resolved Diabetes

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire