mardi 26 août 2014

ICD9 Help from a facility coder perspective please









Hello, I recently switch from strictly ED Professional services coding to ED Hospital facility coding and am being "trained" again in ICD9 coding. Today I had a case of a patient who presented to the ED with cough and SOB and DX'd with Acute Bronchitis and COPD with acute exacerbation, I coded 491.22. My trainer noted that the patient had a history of Emphysema, (I did miss this), and said the correct codes should be 466.0 and 492.8. I'm questioning these code selections, we use 3M encoder, I went in under Bronchitis, and selected all the criteria to end up with the 491.22 code. My trainer stated that I should have gone in under Emphysema, which gives the choice of acute bronchitis with the COPD. I would like some feedback from this forum if you have the time to read this, my main question is why would I use Emphysema first in 3M??

Thanks in advance!

Frustrated Coder





















ICD9 Help from a facility coder perspective please

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire