samedi 28 novembre 2015

Do I really have to buy a 4 year old computer instead of a new i7 iMac?

Quote:

Originally Posted by slideguitarguy View Post

I recently purchased PT12 with the 11Rack hardware bundle.
I also purchased a new iMac i7 27 4K which I had to return because of no available El Cap drivers for the 11R or my aging 003+ Rack that I am not anxious to get rid of. The current 003 driver did NOT work with El Cap, even though Avid says it will. If I can get a working driver for the 003 I can just hook up the 11R via s/pdif like I do now for PT11.
I know Avid will probably (hopefully?) release drivers that work for one of my interfaces, but I need a newer computer ASAP and am constantly watching for driver updates and deals on refurbished i7 Macs.
I was going to pull the trigger today on a late 2012 i7 iMac, but when I checked the Avid site, it was not listed as compatible. I realize that it may work fine, but it seems so lame to have to spent $1650 on a 4 year old computer that may not be the best option.
Anybody got any input?


I'm running an i7 Early 2011 MacBookPro with PT 12.3.1 and it's running fine. I have an issue with some slight crackles on playback, but I think it's an OS issue and not protools. When I run live 9.5 or Logic X, or DP 9 I do not have the audio playback issue however. I think it's something to do with core audio and Protools.
It even happened with PT 11 as well. My main studio mac pro 6 core trash can has no problems and running the same OS X 10.10.5 on both.

If I were you, you might wait on the iMac since Apple is expected to launch NEW macs early next year from what I am hearing. I am holding of because the new chips are twice as fast as a 4 year old mac and you will be able to load up more ram on the laptops and a ton on the iMacs especially. You might be taking a chance with an older mac and Avid won't support you with that. I have in the past run unqualified macs without a problem though.

BTW. You don't really need a 4K monitor either. Kind of nice, but overkill since you are not doing video. I have an old Cinema Screen 30" which I should update, but there are a ton of monitors I'll look at next lear. i also have an HD big screen in the control room anyway, so I don't need a 4K monitor. Unless you are pushing 4k I doubt you would see a difference. G

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service - if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read the FAQ at http://ift.tt/jcXqJW.



Do I really have to buy a 4 year old computer instead of a new i7 iMac?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire